- SEMO will be here Sept. 24, 2018 to meet with all seniors during 1 st hour.
- September 26, 2018 the seniors are invited to attend Raider Preview Day at Three Rivers College in Poplar Bluff.
- Holcomb High School Financial Aid Night will be held October 2, 2018 in the HS Auditorium at 6:00 p.m. for seniors and their parents/guardians.
- Oct. 5, 2018 we will give the ASVAB to all juniors and interested seniors. If you would like to retake it to improve your AFQT Score, please see Mrs. Heuring.
- The University of Central Missouri Rep will be here Wednesday, Oct. 14, 2018 at 11:00 p.m. in the HS Auditorium to speak with interested students.
- October 18, 2018 – A financial aid representative will be here from 3:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. to assist seniors and their families in submitting their FAFSA.
- SEMO College/Career Fair – Oct. 22, 2018 (All seniors will attend. Students will be able to talk with over 50 different colleges, military, and trade school representatives. Seniors will need to bring $10.00 to pay for lunch and snacks. The bus will leave at 8:15 a.m. and should arrive back to school around 3:00 p.m.)
- A MIZZOU Rep will be here Tuesday, Oct. 30, 2018 at 8:15 to speak with interested students.
Senior To Do List
- Take or retake the ACT, SAT, or Accuplacer if you need a better score to improve your chances of being accepted to a college or obtaining a scholarship.
- Retake the ASVAB if you are planning a career in the military.
- Apply to the colleges you are interested in NO LATER THAN DEC.1, 2018!!! Most colleges offer scholarships with November and December deadlines. You cannot get an institutional scholarship if you have not applied to that college.
- After you have applied to the colleges of your choice, let Mrs. Heuring know where you need your high school transcript and ACT scores forwarded to.
- Pay close attention to deadlines for scholarships, admissions, and housing. ALL COLLEGES ARE DIFFERENT!
- Schedule a college day. You are allowed one during first semester and one during second semester. Make sure you notify the office before you take one. You must bring back a note signed by the admission’s office of the college you are touring stating that you toured the campus along with the date and time. These are to be turned in the following day to the high school office.
- Many colleges offer Preview Days/Open Houses for potential students and their families during the fall semester. Check out the websites of the colleges you are interested in attending. There is no better way to know if you will like a campus than to actually step foot on it. I highly encourage you to take advantage of this opportunity.
Financial Aid Information
American Railcar Industries, INC (ARI) is looking for employees. They offer local employment at their Paragould and Kennett locations. ARI pays very good wages and offers very competitive benefits. Contact them at 573-888-4518 or 870-236-8512 to arrange an interview.
Please check the websites of all colleges that you might be considering for the next year. Pay close attention to their scheduled open house dates. These are wonderful opportunities to tour the campus to learn more about the college/university. Also remember to check with the colleges/universities about their deadline dates for admission and scholarships. If you need any assistance with your applications or transcripts, please stop by the counselor’s office.
Show Me Days at Southeast Missouri State University
Show Me Day is our premier open house event and is offered on a number of Saturdays throughout the year and on Presidents’ Day. Attending Show Me Day gives you and your family the opportunity to:
- Talk to professors
- Tour campus
- Eat in our dining facilities
- Meet current students
- See the residence halls
2018-2019 Show Me Day event schedule:
- October 6, 2018
- November 10, 2018
- November 12, 2018
- February 16, 2019
- February 18, 2019
- March 23, 2019
All Show Me Days begin at 10 a.m. at the Show Me Center.
You can register by contacting the Office of Admissions at (573) 651-2590 or by using the form below.
Programs available to interested students
SEMO AHEC ACES Program – This program is designed to provide students interested in careers in health care with hands-on learning experiences, online health modules, service learning projects, job shadowing and volunteering experiences. Interested students should see Mrs. Heuring to register for the program.
The Physics and Engineering program at Southeast Missouri State University is looking to recruit students interested in majoring in Physics, Physics Education, and Pre-Engineering. See Mrs. Heuring for new scholarship information regarding these programs.
Fall Guidance Activities
- Review class schedule and ICAP for career or college track and progress toward diploma with Mrs. Heuring.
- Re-take or take the ACT Test.
- College bound seniors should apply to college.
- Career bound seniors should apply to technical schools.
- Career bound seniors should also work to create a resume and begin preparation to enter the work force.
- Military bound seniors should meet with military recruiters to complete enlistment paper work.
- Students athletes who are considering playing collegiate sports should enter into the NCAA Clearinghouse at www.eligibilitycenter.org
- A+ students should continue to maintain a GPA of 2.5 or better, keep a 95% or better attendance rate, and complete 50 hours of tutoring.
Fall Guidance Activities
- College exploration/applications
- ACT info/registration
- Students will update profile information on MO Connections and ICAP